After a house fire, there will likely be a number of things going through your mind — and all at once. It’s easy for people in this situation to become flustered and feel lost.
However, despite the devastating nature of house fires, there are some steps you can take to help minimize the impact on you and your family and get you off to a faster recovery. By taking a systematic approach, you will be able to move forward more efficiently and obtain the appropriate compensation from your Florida insurance company to repair the damage done to your home.
After a home fire in Florida, take the following steps:
- Protect your home from further damage: Make sure that, if possible, any damaged entrances into your home are boarded up and insulated from rain and wind. Do the best you can on your own, and move on to the next steps, when you can get some additional help.
- Speak with a public adjuster: A public adjuster is a tremendous resource to have as you file your homeowners’ insurance claim. These professionals help you gather all pertinent information and give your claim the best chance at success.
- Contact your insurance company: Together with your public adjuster, notify your insurer as soon as possible. This will initiate the claims process, so be prepared to schedule a visit from an insurance claims adjuster.
- Get an inspection: Contact the fire department for a home inspection to make sure that it’s safe to enter and is structurally sound. If needed, your public adjuster will recommend a structural engineer to evaluate your damages.
- Assess and document damage: This is a big job especially when you are under the stress of just suffering fire damage to your home. Your public adjuster will document the damages of your structure and personal property. The public adjuster will ask you to supply any past records for major purchases and will help you compile a list of everything of value in your home so nothing is forgotten or overlooked.
- Carefully review your contracts and policy: If you have a contractor come to clear away some of the damage and make repairs to your home, don’t let anyone pressure you into signing a contract. If you do sign, you could be on the hook for costs that exceed the compensation provided from your insurance company.
The aftermath of a home fire is a difficult situation to deal with, but by working with a Florida public adjuster and taking the steps noted above, you can make this process a little easier for you and your family.
Speak with a public adjuster with Advocate Claims by calling 1-954-369-0573 or by contacting us online. We serve home and business owners across Florida, including Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Hollywood, Delray Beach, Wellington and Boynton Beach.