Property Damage Insurance Claims
Water, Mold, Fire, Hurricane, Vandalism


Home » Blog » Contractors » Do I Have to Use Insurance Company Contractors?

Do I Have to Use Insurance Company Contractors?

When filing a homeowner’s insurance claim, your insurance company or agency may recommend preferred vendors that they have done business with in the past. Most homeowners are curious as to whether or not they have to use their insurance company’s contractors – the simple answer is no.

The very first thing to keep in mind when filing a homeowner insurance claim is this: you should never call your insurance company first. Your very first call to them is likely to raise your rates. Instead, Advocate Claims Public Adjusters recommends that you contact a licensed public adjuster in your area first. An experienced public adjuster will analyze your situation and determine whether your insurance policy claim is financially worth reporting.

By contacting a public adjuster to handle your insurance claim, they can have effective communication with your insurance company and make sure that you are not pressured into hiring one of their contractors, who takes a cut of your return money. Instead, public adjusters suggest that you find a contractor privately, who is looking out for your best interest and not that of the insurance company.

As a homeowner, you should always have the right to choose the contractor to make repairs to your home. When hiring any home improvement specialist, you should always check references, licensing, and reviews in order to ensure the quality of work before contracting.

For any and all homeowner or commercial insurance claims and questions, contact Steven Venook of Advocate Claims Public Adjusters at 954-369-0573.

Advocate Claims Public Adjusters